Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Soundtrack to My Heart (aka my Breakup Playlist)

I am a huge music lover and I pride myself on being able to find a song about anything!  I also love being able to listen to music when I'm going through something because it lets me know that someone else has been through it and understands. 

This list is kind of long but I've had a few heartbreaks in my years so I've had plenty of time to compile it!  And that leads me to the first song

1. Gone Already (Faith Evans)

I'm not a big fan of Faith Evans so I don't even know how or where I first heard this song but it made me cry.  It describes staying in a relationship with someone you know doesn't care about you for whatever reason and how you become numb and mentally detached from the situation.

2. Tired (Kelly Price)

This one is self explanatory.  But I was especially able to relate to the lines "tired of the baby mamas..." and "tired of the ghetto drama."  My ex would tell me the same stories over and over for hours about his children's mothers...he would also lie to people about me (including his children's mothers) which caused them not to like me.

3. Same Script, Different Cast (Whitney Houston feat. Deborah Cox)

I realized rather early on that my ex was doing the same things to me that he did to his ex wife so I started to relate to this song.  I started listening to it more when I saw all the emails and talked to all the other women that he was also selling the exact same dream to.

4. Liar, Liar (Latocha Scott)

Self explanatory

5.  Suitcase (Mary J. Blige)

I used to be a huge Mary J. Blige fan back when her songs were full of some of the pain and misery my own relationships were bringing.  But I don't think anyone was a fan of happy Mary.  :)  Glad for this return to her "no more drama" self. 

Favorite line "While you're trying to explain I'll be zipping up my suitcase."

6. Lesson Learned (Alicia Keys feat. John Mayer)

Still makes me cry....

On another note I was feeling Alicia's song Unthinkable in the beginning of the relationship after I found he lied to me about being married and I was trying to decide whether or not to deal with him...

7.  Ex Factor (Lauryn Hill)

Favorite line "and when I try to walk away you hurt yourself to make me stay..." True story! And proof this fool is crazy!

8. He Think I Don't Know (Mary J. Blige)

Favorite line "I don't know what gets me more...about your two hour trips to the store...how they never have what you went there for...or that you say to trust you more..." 

This reminded me of a story my ex told me (over and over again but I digress) about how he would "go to Walmart" for hours and read magazines in the middle of the night while he was with his ex wife...but he didn't understand why she didn't trust him.

9. (I Just Want it) to Be Over (Keyshia Cole)

Self explanatory

10. Free Yourself (Fantasia)

Very old but good one...

11. Truth Hurts (Usher)

GREAT song where he starts out accusing his significant other of "fooling around" but admits at the end that it's actually just his insecurities because HE'S the one doing wrong...preach Usher!

12.  All the Ifs (Trey Songz)

Not sure if all men feel this way when they lose a good woman...but this is how Trey Songz feels about it...nice song at least!

13. It Kills Me (Melanie Fiona)

This is probably the theme song of every woman who is trying to stay with a no good man...Melanie's song 4 AM is another one...

14. I'm Out (Ciara feat. Nicki Minaj)

Nice f*** you song that you can dance to...

15.  Heart Attack (Trey Songz)

Seems like Trey knows a few things about love and heart break...I LOVE this song!

16. Grenade (remix) (Bruno Mars feat. Lil Wayne)

Favorite line "Take, take, take it all but you never give..."

17. Yesterday (Toni Braxton)

I remember blasting this on repeat after I heard it for the first time...

18.  If You Died I Wouldn't Cry (Mya)

I told my ex I wished he would die before...he told me that was the worst thing anyone could ever say to someone and a real woman would NEVER say that to a man...I was like, uh, it's NOT just me contrary to what you always say...someone ELSE even wrote a song about it...

Favorite line "I hope you die! I hope you die!"

19. Moving Mountains (Usher)

Beautiful song about the futility of working on a relationship sometimes...Usher and Trey Songz really know a thing or two about relationships...

20. Black Roses (Trey Songz)

Favorite line "Black roses for this dying love...an early Valentine. Special delivery just for you and I"

21.Climax (Usher)

A song about realizing the relationship isn't going to get any better...and then trying to figure out what to do next...another one that I listened to repeatedly.

22. I Don't Believe You (Pink)

Another poignant song about not wanting to come to terms with the fact that he doesn't love you...made me cry when I first heard it.

23. Find Your Love (Drake)

Drake is not as good as Trey or Usher but I fell in love with the beat of this song before I realized it was another song about not wanting to admit that the person you love may not love you. 

24.  When a Woman's Fed Up (R. Kelly)

Self explanatory

25. I Can't Sleep (R. Kelly)

I just put this song on here as an afterthought just because I was a huge R. Kelly fan in the past but thought this song was stupid until I went through my first real heart break.  I realized that you really don't want to eat or sleep when your heart is broken!  Lesson learned.  It became one of my favorite songs for awhile after that.

26. Me, Myself and I (Beyoncé)

Self-explanatory

27 La La La (Naughty Boy feat. Sam Smith)

My daughter's drill team performed to this song awhile back so I had it on a different playlist.  It wasn't until after my break up that I realized this was a very tasteful song about not being able to listen to anymore lies from a lover that is full of BS.

Favorite line:  "I can't find your silver lining...I don't mean to judge...but when you read your speech it's tiring...enough is enough!" That's probably the nicest way to say there is NOTHING good about the person you are referring to...and also to say "I'm tired of hearing these same lies that you keep repeating to me and everyone else!"

28. Reason to Believe (Rod Stewart)

Favorite line: "If I listened long enough to you...I'd find a way to believe it's all true...knowing that you lied...straight faced, while I cried...and still I look to find a reason to believe"

29. Deuces Remix feat. Drake, T.I., Kanye West, Fabolous, Rick Ross and Andre 3000

Another interesting male perspective on breaking up...

30. No Love (Eminem feat. Lil Wayne)

Favorite line: "And you can keep knocking, but won't knock me down...no love lost, no love found.."

I was sick with the flu and losing my voice one day when my ex called and he was pissed that I did not have the energy to listen to him talk for the requisite couple of hours.  And of course he never asked how I was feeling.  I remember putting this song on repeat and it made me feel better even though it made my headache feel worse.

Also worth an honorable mention is Drop the World by Lil Wayne feat. Eminem

31. Cold Case Love (Rihanna)

Beautiful, beautiful song about reflecting on a relationship after it's over...

32. Ring Off (Beyoncé)

Cute song Beyoncé wrote for her mother after she finally had the courage to leave an unhappy marriage.








No comments:

Post a Comment